Saturday 17 November 2012

Filming A Scene Using My 'Bullitt' Storyboard



In class on Thursday we attempted to film the shots in the 'Bullitt' car chase scene using just my storyboard (see previous post). We didn't focus on sound in this, just trying to position the shots correctly. The video of Katie's, Alex's, Dionne's and my attempt is to above (we accidentally cut out the first shot). As we didn't have a car to use we improvised with two chairs, a table and a bin and filmed clips where we found it impossible to shoot.

The first shot in the video is a medium eye level shot of the back of the 'goodies' head, who is driving chasing the car ahead. In this shot we had to think about the rule of thirds and think about the positioning of the objects. To the right is a screen grab of attempt and what it should of looked like. As you can see the angle of this shot is wrong, it appears to be more of a high angle shot. We should of lowered the tripod to make the shot eye level. We also did not think about the duration of this shot (it should have last approximately 3 seconds).

The next shot was of two people in another car (the 'baddies') driving. It was hard to get the positioning of both characters right in this shot as our actors were different sizes to those in the actual scene which I storyboarded from. However I think this shot worked a lot better than the last (see picture to right). We remembered to think about the duration and angle of the shot.

The next shot was hard to film because I had found it hard to draw on the storyboard, so wasn't an accurate representation of the shot. We got the angle of the shot right however the size and the duration of the shot were a little out.

In the next shot we just filmed the actual 'Bullitt' car chase clip as we didn't have a car available.

We then filmed another clip of the 'goody' driving and chasing the car ahead. although this was a better attempt than the first shot, the angle and positioning of the shot is wrong again (the top of my head is one show). To correct this the camera must of been set up lower and checked that the positioning of my head was the same as my storyboard. However, the duration of the shot was correct.

After that we again filmed the actual clip from the scene again, as it was another clip of a car.

The second to last shot was another shot of me (the 'goody') chasing the car ahead, except the angle was slightly different. Although we showed this angle and the duration of the shot was close, we again got the positioning of the shot wrong (too much of my head is on show).


The last shot is again of me but from the side. I have far too much space behind my back in this shot and above my head in this shot. The angle and duration, however, were good.




Filming the 'Bullitt' car chase scene using just my storyboard made me realise how important and helpful storyboarding is to help you get the right and accurate shot. They also save a lot of time as you know exactly what you are doing when you start filming.

No comments:

Post a Comment