Wednesday 19 September 2012

Semiotics

In our third lesson with Mrs Griffiths we learnt about connotations and denotations. We started with an activity where we saw signs and then wrote the connotations we associated with them. This included a smiley face J which I associate with happiness and a pound sign £ which I link with money. There were also colours that we connoted in this activity. I believed connotations of green were natural and environmental however I also thought it was sometimes showed jealousy. For red I thought it depicted love and danger.

Important vocabulary we learnt:
Semiotics- Studies of signs
Connotations- a meaning attributable to an image beyond the obvious denotational level
Denotation- the first and simplest level of meaning an image

No comments:

Post a Comment